Lestinogomphus angustus Martin, 1912
Type locality: British East Africa [ass. Kenya], no locality data available.
Male is similar to L. silkeae by (a) the pair of large teeth near the base of the epiproct dorsum. However, differs by (1) ranging from Kenya and Uganda to Namibia and South Africa; (2) pale areas alongside middorsal carina extend dorsally beyond tooth of carina; (3) S10 about 2x as long as high; (4) basal teeth on epiproct broad- rather than narrow-based, directed straight upward, rather than directed into S10. [Adapted from Dijkstra & Clausnitzer 2014 and Dijkstra, Kipping & Mézière 2015]
Rivers, but possibly also streams, shaded by gallery forest, but sometimes in open landscapes. Often with a sandy and/or probably soft (like muddy) bottom, and probably coarse detritus. From 0 to 1300 m above sea level, but possibly up to 2100.
Appendages (lateral view)
Map citation: Clausnitzer, V., K.-D.B. Dijkstra, R. Koch, J.-P. Boudot, W.R.T. Darwall, J. Kipping, B. Samraoui, M.J. Samways, J.P. Simaika & F. Suhling, 2012. Focus on African Freshwaters: hotspots of dragonfly diversity and conservation concern. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10: 129-134.
- Martin, R. (1912). Notes sur les Gomphines d'Afrique. Annales Societe Entomologique France, 80, 480-486. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1966). Check-list of dragonflies (Odonata) from Malawi, with description of a new Teinobasis Kirby. Arnoldia, 2, 1-24. [PDF file]
- Fraser, F.C. (1949). Gomphidae from the Belgian Congo (order Odonata). Revue Zoologie Botanique Africaines, 42, 101-138. [PDF file]
- Legrand, J., and Lachaise, M. (2001).Un nouveau Gomphidae Afrotropical, Lestinogomphus matilei n. sp. (odonata, Anisoptera). Revue francaise Entomologie, 23, 1-8. [PDF file]
- Kipping, J. (2006). Lestinogomphus silkeae, spec. nov., a new gomphid species from the northern Okavango Delta, Botswana (Odonata: Anisoptera). Cimbebasia Memoirs, 5, 1-6. [PDF file]
Citation: Dijkstra, K.-D.B (editor). African Dragonflies and Damselflies Online. http://addo.adu.org.za/ [2023-06-08].